For a long time I’ve been struggling trying to find a way to make a healthy pizza base. There so many different recipes online that say thin crust are delicious and tasty but they aren’t the greatest and end up being really bad for you once you calculate the calories in the crust. i finally tried the cauliflower crust that everyone has been talking about but I’m not really a fun of the crust and the texture of the base once baked.
I started experimenting and trying out new recipes that wouldn’t taste bad. I don’t believe you can only be healthy and fit by eating disgusting food thats unsalted or unseasoned from a container.
I combined a cauliflower florets with wheat flour to make a low calorie base that slightly replicates a pizza base.
The whole pizza base is 620 calories.
With the barbecue toppings picked it turned out to being 800 calories for the whole pizza.
Preparation Time: 2 – 2:30 hours Cooking Time: 1 hour
Cauliflower and Wheat flour:
- 1 1/4 cups cauliflower crust (160 cals)
- 1 1/2 cup Wheat flour (455 cals)
- 1/3 cup of water
- 1/4 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tbs activated yeast
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 3 medium eggplants
- 4 – 5 cherry tomatoes
- handful of diced pumpkin
- half an onion
- 3 tbs barbecue sauce
To make this:
- Pre-heat oven to 160 degrees Celsius. Place the cauliflower on a baking sheet lined with aluminum foil.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the cauliflower is a little brown and soft. Remove from oven and place into a food processor or a blender.
- Process until you get cauliflower crumbs. Set aside to cool.
- Combine the water and the yeast and slowly whisk until it forms into a paste.
- Add the olive oil to the mixture and leave for 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl combine the flour, cauliflower and salt. Mix the dry ingredients together.
- Add half the yeast mixture and start kneading on low.
- Its easier to knead with your hands form this point on.
- Add the rest of the yeast and continue kneading until the dough begins to form into a ball.
- Add more flour or water if needed.
- Place the dough into a floured surface and Knead by hand for another 2-3 minutes.
- When you press it with your finger it should slowly spring back.
- Place the dough to a lightly oiled bowl.
- Cover the bowl with a slightly wet cloth and leave it in an enclosed area and let it rise for 30 minutes to an hour.
- Flour the surface and roll the dough into a circle.
For the toppings:
- Add the sauce and any toppings of your choice. I personally didn’t want to add vegan cheese because i don’t enjoy it but feel free to add some.
- Place into the oven for 45 minutes on 150 degrees celsius.
- Bake until the edges are golden brown.
I hope you enjoy, let me know if you get a chance to try this out.
With lots of love,